The Market Town of Ebeltoft
Ebeltoft is presumed to have been founded around 1200, and the bay is well-shielded forming a good natural harbour. Ebeltoft received market town privileges as early as 1302. Trade in Ebeltoft has always been dependent on the good state of the harbour. In 1901, the new harbour was built, and in the same year Ebeltoft was connected to the railway line between Aarhus and Grenaa. In the first half of the 1900s, Ebeltoft remained a relatively small market town with some industry, but with its good beaches and old market atmosphere, it remained a tourist town.
From the tourist information at the harbour, you can walk up the nice pedestrian street in the middle of the old part of town. Particular buildings worth mentioning are the old town hall from 1789 and Farvergården from the beginning of the 1700s. The round walk from the harbour and along the whole of the length of the pedestrian street is around 1.5 km. Read more at: